Monday, July 12, 2010

Fun facts about Cameroon

Cameroon is in the "armpit" of Africa, near Nigeria and Chad, and is slightly larger than California.

The official languages are French and English.

There are 278 living languages in Cameroon, with Bible translation projects in at least 106 of them.

Forty percent of the population is Christian, forty percent has indigenous beliefs, and twenty percent is Muslim.

Seventy percent of the population works in agriculture. Products include coffee, cocoa, cotton, rubber, bananas, oilseed, grains, root starches, livestock, and timber.

Its neighbor Equatorial Guinea is the only Spanish-speaking country in Africa.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, this is kinda funny... I was searching online for information about Cameroon (and images of Cameroon) and "stumbled" upon this really old post on your blog. I read this post thinking you are obviously a believer...then started searching a little bit more and found that you are serving the Lord there with Wycliffe. I am preparing to go in July for 3 months and next year I will split my time, 6mo in Dallas, TX at the ILC (where I am now) and 6mo in Cameroon. I will be the Site Volunteer Coordinator in Yaounde (working with Peg S - if you know her). Hope I run into you there! I am looking forward to reading more on your blog to see what I am in for! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--I didn't realize I would turn up in a search! Hope the blog is helpful, and I look forward to meeting you sometime this summer :).

    ReplyDelete